> Key Remapper
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Key remapping doesn't work in one program. Why?
This may be happening because the program has higher-level permissions than Key Remapper. You can try starting Key Remapper with admin rights. To do that, unload Key Remapper from the memory, right click on the Key Remapper shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
You can also try starting Key Remapper later – that is, starting the program causing the issue first and launching Key Remapper afterwards.
2. Key Remapper stops working after a while and gives me the error message "Mouse Hook Error" (or "Keyboard Hook Error") when I exit it. How can I fix this?
This bug was fixed in version 1.11 build 435 (January 4, 2019). Please download and install the latest version.
3. The keys have been defined, but key remapping doesn't work. Why?
Check if the program is paused. The pause mode can be enabled or disabled in the main program window, as well as by choosing the corresponding command from the context menu of the taskbar icon or by clicking the icon with the middle mouse button/wheel.
4. Can I assign an action or a key combination to another key combination?
Key Remapper does not support such a feature. If you want to do that, you can use a more functional tool called Key Manager.
5. Key Remapper won't start at all. Why?
We have found out that Key Remapper won't start if Comodo Internet Security 5 is running. To solve the problem, update the antivirus software or add keyremapper.exe to Defence+ -> Defence+ Settings -> Execution Control Settings -> Detect shellcode injections -> exclusions in Comodo.
6. Can I assign two or more key replacements to a single key?
No. If more than one replacements are assigned to a key, only the top one in the list will be performed.
7. Is reverse key replacement possible?
It is. To do so, you need to make two replacements: replace the first key with the second one and then replace the second key with the first one.
8. Can I redefine the Sleep key on my keyboard?
Yes, you can. However, you will first need to disable this action in Windows (Control Panel -> Power Options). Emulating the press of the Sleep key is not always possible. It depends on the hardware of your computer and your operating system.
9. Key Remapper does not detect special keys on the keyboard of my laptop. Why?
Hardware manufacturers often provide specialized key mapping software for special keys on keyboards and laptops (for instance, such applications for volume control buttons show the volume level on the screen). Sometimes such applications "monopolize" keys, which makes their remapping impossible. Not installing such programs may be one of the possible solutions.
10. I have a laptop. The FN key on my keyboard doesn't work after redefinition. Why?
Some models of laptops and specialized keyboards have keys with hardcoded functions, which makes them hard to identify and read.
11. Is there a key for launching Key Remapper in the background and placing it into the system tray right away? I need the program to be launched discreetly.
Yes, you can use the /hidden and /autorun keys for this purpose. Note that if the /autorun key is used and the "Launch when Windows starts" option is not enabled, the program won't start at all.
12. How to remap the press of the left mouse button?
To do that, press the left mouse button in the key detection field while holding down the Ctrl key (or any other modifier). However, you should be careful remapping the left mouse button, as you risk losing control over your mouse. If it happens, you can pause the program by pressing the Ctrl+P combination or by pressing the middle mouse button on the program icon on the taskbar. Finally, you can press the Alt+Ctrl+Del combination and end the program manually in the task manager.
13. Can I install Key Remapper under Windows 98, Windows ME or an earlier version of Windows?
No. Due to the fact that there are no users of these operating systems, Key Remapper does not support them. This was done for optimization purposes in order to keep Key Remapper free of unused functions.
You can ask a question you haven't found an answer to: